Took emergency contraceptive pills after having unprotected sex. Will the pill reset the menstrual cycle?

Mar 2016

Question and my partner had a torn condom incident a month back (which was 2 days after her period ended) after which she took emergency contraceptive pills within 12 hours. She got a regular period (with heavier bleeding) a week later. Does this mean that the pills worked?
Also, does the pill reset the menstrual cycle schedule? She is 3 days past her scheduled date for this month and hasn't got a period yet.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Unprotected sex with torn condom just 2 days after period over is extremely safe. Additionally, she took emergency pill within 12 hrs of sex which gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Here, chance of pregnancy is almost nil.

2) Following taking pill, most women get a withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 days (she also got it). It is a quite common and normal phenomena. However, it does not indicate that pill is 100% worked. It is a physiological thing.

3) Yes, period will be reset after taking the pill. Menstrual cycle is delayed for 1-2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Herein, she needs to wait at least one week to get period naturally.

4) In the mean time, she must avoid mental stress by regular meditation and take these food stuffs like pineapple, papaya, sugarcane juice, chicken, hot milk, broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish, green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, soy milk, yoghurt dairy product, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to induce and get regular period.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query you can close the discussion.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Took emergency contraceptive pills after having unprotected sex. Will the pill reset the menstrual cycle? 2 days later
Hi Doctor,

Is there a possibility that my partner misses her period for this month? She has still not got her period and we are a little stressed out about it. Should we go in for a pregnancy test?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) Yes, she can miss her period this month. Emergency pill can delay her period due date for 1-2 weeks. Therefore, she must wait at least one week to get her period naturally.

2) Chance of pregnancy is almost nil as you did sex on safe period. However, she can undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubts and reduce mental stress.

Just follow my previous guideline. Try to reduce mental stress as much as possible.

Hope, it helps to understand properly. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen