Took emergency contraceptive pill after unprotected sex and had unprotected sex again. Worried

hii..i and my wife had sex and after 8 hours she took ipill tablet. after around 48 hours we had sex again.should she have another ipill.?...but after taking ipill she had abdomen pain for a day but is absolutely normal now..she is feeling very sleepy and restless. she is heaving mild head ache also. is this normal or there is some thing to worry? if its normal how loing do such activities carry on.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So to summarize:
1. You had unprotected intercourse
2. 8 hours later she took emergency contraception
3. 48 hours later (now 56 hours from first encounter), you had unprotected intercourse again.

Emergency contraception must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse in order to assume an effectiveness of >95%. So, based on my limited knowledge of her history, and if I were to counsel a patient in a similar situation, I would say that I do NOT think that she needs a second pill because of the closer interval of the encounters.

But I want you to remember, nothing is 100%. It is very important that she checks a pregnancy test in about 2-3 weeks. Also, she should expect some irregular breakthrough bleeding, followed by a delay in her next period.

I hope that this helps and good luck!