Took emergency contraceptive pill after unprotected sex. Will this work?

hi ! i have done sex with my fiance last night, she don't wanna be pregnant right now, i has given her XXXXXXX 72 tablet today at 5.00 pm , wl it work ?
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

When the emergency contraception is taken properly (within 72 hours of intercourse) its failure rate is <5%. This means that it is VERY effective at preventing pregnancy, but it is not zero.

But in answer to your question, yes it will probably work. If you had more information on her cycle, perhaps I could help you with a more accurate answer. What was the first day of her last period? Does she have regular cycles?

Please let me know and I will help you further.
Follow-up: Took emergency contraceptive pill after unprotected sex. Will this work? 2 days later
her last cycle had been started on 4th and was till 7th. one more guidance i want from you, is it safer to do sex in first or second day of cycle, an what are possibilities to be pregnant in start day of cycle ?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
So if you assume cycle day #1 was the 4th, then you had intercourse on about day#8. The chance of pregnancy at that point of the cycle is extremely low (<5%). When combined with emergency contraception, the chances are even less. So based on what you are saying, I don't think you have much to worry about. She still needs a pregnancy test at some point in the next 2-3 weeks to be sure.

In terms of her cycle, we call day #1 the first day of the cycle. You are likely asking if it is safe during the day or two after her cycle stops. This is a point in the cycle where intercourse is likely safe, but I would caution you that sometims cycles can be confusing and that this type of "family planning" method of contraception is the MOST likely to fail (versus condoms or birth control pills).

I hope this helps!