Took electrobion for severe stomach ache and diarrhea. Got fever, cold, joint pain and sweating. Suggestion?

I was perfectly okay when I went to bed.
However when I got up I had terrible stomach pain with loose motion.

I drank some Electrobion n went to sleep again.
Now all my joints r paining, hv got fever & am feeling cold n getting shivers + am sweating a bit

pls help!
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 26 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You have symptoms of an infective diarrhea.
Gastro-enteritis (if you have nausea/ vomiting too) commonly produces body and joint pains, fever, nausea, rigors, sweating.
How bad is your diarrhea? Number, quantity, quality (semi-solid or watery)?
Is there mucus or blood in the stools?
Did you have outside food?
Are you dull, drowsy, giddy?

You have started electrobion. It is ORS (oral hydration solution).
Continue adequate liquid intake to prevent dehydration,. If the diarrhea does not reduce soon, please get yourself evaluated.

You will probably need an antibiotic like Norfloxacin and metronidazole.
Please mention your details like age, prior illness, answers to questions above.

Keep a watch on urine output (lowering), vomiting, fever.

You may need additional testing if it continues. You can have paracetamol (Crocin) 500 mg 3-4 times a day for fever, pain.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
Follow-up: Took electrobion for severe stomach ache and diarrhea. Got fever, cold, joint pain and sweating. Suggestion? 7 minutes later
hi doctor,

appreciate your quick response. Yes I ate shrimp outside yesterday. That might be d cause.

I went to the Restroom twice n it was only water n some residue.
yes I am feeling very weak, drowsy & nauseatic

should I take medication as suggested by you?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 19 minutes later
Thanks for the update.
This is either food poisoning due to shrimp (shell fish) or an allergic reaction to shrimp proteins.
if allergy, it could get worse with breathlessness, swelling of the lips, mouth and throat etc.
Sometimes XXXXXXX bronchospasm and low BP may occur.
If due to infection associated with shrimp, dysentry may continue and will need antibiotics.

But due to possible seriousness, i would advise you to immediately seek medical help and then take antibiotics if advised. other medicines can be taken now. For vomiting, chew a 4 mg ondansetron tablet. keep company.

If allergic, get treated with iv fluids (saline), anti-allergics , steroids and treatment of complications.

Does any one else who ate with you has similar symptoms?

Keep a watch on hives, breathlessness, giddiness, urine output till you see a good physician.

Stay away from unknown eating places and foods in future.

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query anytime.
Thank you!!