Took effexor for anxiety. Noticed cloudy urine. Blood test, urinalysis normal. Took flagyl. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 25 year old male 5'7" 170 lbs recent bloodwork physical exam and urinalysis normal. Underwent a colonoscopy (normal) for a GI condition (mucus in stool, weight loss) which cleared up after a course of flagyl and gained my weight back. during this time i was on Effexor for Anxiety and noticed that my urine was cloudy. Family doc said it was probably due to the effexor. I stopped the Effexor and the cloudy urine stopped. Tonight I noticed it was cloudy again. My diet today consisted of a caramel macchiato from Starbucks, a chicken wrap with fries for lunch, two glasses of water, an artificially flavored lime red bull, and hamburger helper for dinner. Do you know what could be bringing back the cloudy urine? It seems to only be cloudy when accompanied by a bm. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
You are young and I am sure there is nothing to be concerned about.
There are few side effects of Effexor which include urine changes, but most common only mildly elevated proteins in urine are found. I dont think that it would cause cloudy urine.

Most commonly cloudy urine is temporary sign of specific food or drinks intake. It is known that taking too many vitamin supplements(water solubile,vit. B or C)can make urine cloudy. Also phosphate-containing foods( such as rice, certains seeds, bacon,nuts,cheese,sesame,milk, choccolate, beer etc.). So meal you ve mentioned could be a reason.
Other common causes hich should be treated are urinary infections, kidney stones or STD especially if you have some associated symptoms usch as pain, often urinating, fever or discharge.
But the best way to be sure is to do urine analysis there is no purpose from just looking your urine color. Everything would be clear after urine analysis. Also it is important that your urine isnt dark. This is a sign of something more serious then.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help