Took doxycycline for prostate infection. Diagnosed with intracranial hypertension. Cause of concern?

Our son has been diagnosed with intercranial hypertension apparently due to a course of doxycycline he took for prostate infection. He has had several lumbar punctures. The firt one was 22, the second 18 and then another 22. He had one yesterday with the opening pressure being 13.5 and the closing pressure at 8. There ws no relief from the headache. He is on Diamox at 500mg 3x per day. Yet the headache persists. The physicians appear to be baffled. Our son is now quite depressed. On a scale of 1-5 he rates the persistent pain at a 3 and does not think that he can continue to do his job. A previous 5 day course of prednisone completely eliminated the headache but we understand that steriods cannot be used long term. Could there be any angles that the doctors are missing? They seem very caring and competent. Several CT scans, an MRI, MRA and MRV has all come back normal.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting this question.

I have noted all your complaints and also the investigations. I understand your concerns. Doxycycline is known to cause intracranial hypertension. However there are many other causes of intracranial hypertension. When no cause is found the diagnosis of idiopathic intracranial hypertension is made.

Therefore note that other causes need exclusion mainly CNS infection if we can plan a proper treatment.

With due respect to the treating physician, I would like to know if a CSF analysis was done. If yes, then I would like to know other CSF parameters like CSF glucose, protein and cell count and malignant cells. These findings will help us rule out other secondary causes and its treatment. Further a detailed ophthalmology evaluation will be required to see the degree of hypertension.
Accordingly appropriate treatment can be suggested based on the diagnosed cause.

I would advise you to visit a medical university hospital where a group of neurologist can re-examine him and review the records. Perhaps studying his symptoms, clinical sign and investigative reports and will guide you.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer your other queries.