Took depo shot. Had unprotected sex. Should I be concerned for pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Itook my depo a month later than when I was suppose to have taken it. Got my months mixed up. I was suppose to have taken it on the 10th of XXXXXXX 2013 but took it Feb 11, 2013. I had sex this past weekend. Do I need to be concerned for possible pregnancy. I know the shot is effective after 24 hrs but in the case I am having concerns.
I also forgot to mention that I have been on Depo for 6 to 7 yrs as well. So with that in mind I know that the contraceptive is built up in my system but with having mixed my months up and taking the shot a mth late it has me concerned.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Depo shot (depo provera) is very much useful in preventing unwanted pregnancy and to be taken every 3 months interval. It has failure rate about 0.3 per HWY.

The shot is highly effective if it is given just after childbirth or during a menstrual period. But if the shot is given on other time, it may take one week to be effective. In such cases, another type of cotraception should be used as back up following taking the injection. The Depo shot begins to lose its effectiveness by about 13 weeks.

Now, in your case, as you took depo shot after one month interval and involved in unprotected sex without any back up method, you may become pregnant though it completely depends on ovulation time.

Therefore, I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test after 7 days of next missed period. You may do one blood test for beta HCG for confirmation and it clears your doubt from mind.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen