Took course of Alprim for bladder infection, but infection came back. Had another course developed rash. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Started taking alprim tablets for bladder infection. Took a 7 day course of Alprim tablets. After a couple of days infection came back. Took additional course of alprim . Developed a rather strange rash on my legs and arms and stomach. Could it be these tablet that caused this? XXXXXXX t feel sick though.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 46 minutes later
Thank you for your question.
The active ingredient in Alprim is trimethoprim which is an anti-bacterial drug commonly used for bladder infections.
One of the commoner side-effects is a rash which may itch. This is not a serious side-effect and I would recommend you continue your course of Alprim. I note that it didn't occur the first time you took the drug but sometimes this will happen and side-effects appear later even where the drug has previously been taken.
I hope this has helped you and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger