Took colmid, pregnant via IVF. Effect on FSH levels and follicle count?

Infertility Specialist
Hello - I took Clomid for the first time last month - to no avail. I then had my bloodwork taken on day 3 of this cycle. Can you tell me if the Clomid would affect my FSH level or AFC count? I read online that it stays in your blood for 6 weeks and does affect FSH, but wanted to check with others. Also wondering if it impacts antral follicle count? Does it increase it?

Also, is my chance of m/c just as high if I get pregnant naturally or if I get pregnant via IVF? Wasn't sure if IVF procedure could ensure 'quality' eggs. We're trying to decide if we should 'prevent' natural pregnancy (to mitigate risk of m/c) and go straight to IVF with hope of ensuring quality eggs and possibly freezing one or two. I'm almost 39 with an FSH that just jumped from 9.4 to 11.3 in 5 months. However, my AFC is 19.

Thanks so much, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 2 hours later

I understand your health concern.

1.Clomid taken in the last cycle would have no effect on the FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) or AFC ( Antral Follicle Count) of this cycle.

2. No, Clomid does not increase the antral follicle count.

3. One advantage of IVF for older women is that it helps to telescope time - so that instead of working with just one mature egg every cycle, we grow many mature eggs in one cycle. Out of this cohort, the chances of getting a healthy embryo do improve, in my opinion.

4. If you can get pregnant without any assisted methods of contraception, it would be great and ideal.

Normally, with a high FSH one would expect a low AFC.

I would suggest you to check your blood AMH levels. ( WWW.WWWW.WW

Time is now at a premium for you - please don't waste it ! You should never have any regrets later that you left any stone unturned and didn't give yourself the best shot at fertility treatment. Treatment can be expensive, but a baby is priceless !

We look forward to helping you to have a baby !

Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD