Took cocaine. On zanax, lortab. Rapid heart beat, head rush. Did he have a panic attack?

I have a friend who called me last night about 6:30 pm saying he thought he was going to die, so I rushed over to his house. After talking to him he told me that he had done some cocaine. He said he has not done any since his early 20's now he is 36. I believe him about that, however he has been taking zanax and lortab for a few years. After getting him calmed down he appeared to be fine. I think he was having a panic attack, I have had 3 or 4 of those so i know the symptoms. He called me around 11:30 am today and said he had that feeling again. The feeling being a head rush followed by a rapid heart beat and thinking he was going to pass out. He will not let me take him to ER or a doctor and I know he will not go on his own. He has not taken anything today. What does this sound like to you and how can I help him? Thank You
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Cocaine use is associated with euphoria and pleasurable sensations, highly intensifying every pleasure. Then the person tends to become hyperactive and excessively alert. Once the high wears off , the individual often becomes agitated, irritable, and uncomfortable.
Your friend is having the symptoms which one experiences after the effect of cocaine is over. It often causes severe depression and suicidal tendencies.
Your friend needs a medical attention for proper treatment and to rule out any other organic cause for his symptoms.
You need to take him to an ER for appropriate investigations and further treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.