Took citaplus and prodep for depression. Started getting mood disorder. How to cure this?

hi i am suffering from depression my doctor prescribed the following medicine for 1 month last : prodep(fluoxetine) and new citaplus 10 mg both and for this month new citaplus 10 and olanzpine 2.5 . i m undergone also biofeedback. i am feeling better than earlier but some effects like stress fluctuation and mood disorder.i want to know how much it take to cure and relive??
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 40 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Both Citaplus and Prodep are SSRI anti-depressants and Olanzapine is an anti-psychotic, given for psychotic symptoms (which may be present in severe depression).

You have mentioned that with the combination of Citaplus 10 and Olanzapine 2.5, you are doing better than earlier, but are still having some problems. Usually, these medication can take up to 6 - 8 weeks to bring about their full potential and in the initial few weeks they can have some minor side effects also. So, I would advise you to wait for some more time for the medication to reach its full potential. Sometimes, if the symptoms are not fully controlled with this dosage, you may require an increase in dosage also.

The duration of treatment depends of the nature and severity of the depression and the risk for future relapse. It is usually recommended that treatment should be continued for a minimum of 6 months. After this period, your doctor will have to re-assess you and if there is no risk for relapse, then medication can be gradually reduced and stopped.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow-up: Took citaplus and prodep for depression. Started getting mood disorder. How to cure this? 19 hours later
thanks doctor,
i want to know undergoing medication helping me but how much they helpful for my studies and problem such as lack of concentration, memory lack and related problem??
i am seeking for better result and confident on my doctor for treatment.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 15 hours later
Hello again,

Well, psychiatric problems like depression, can cause a lack of concentration, poor memory and decreased motivation. So, taking medication and controlling the psychiatric problems will help in improving your concentration and memory, and therefore, be helpful for your studies.

So, don't worry, as the medicines reach their full effects, your symptoms will gradually subside. You can also discuss with your doctor whether an alteration in medication is required.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow-up: Took citaplus and prodep for depression. Started getting mood disorder. How to cure this? 10 hours later
thnxs again
i am happy that my course is helping me and will give it fruitful result.
can i have some of your suggestion for things to do or not to, also alternatives which
give better in treatment excluding the medication prescribed. if you can suggest it i will be thankful to you.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 18 hours later
Hello again,

Other than medication, there are other alternatives in the form of psychological therapies. Specifically for depression, there is a form of psychotherapy called Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) which is very effective in handling negative thinking and amotivation. In addition, you can also try various mind relaxation therapies like yoga and meditation, which will relax your mind and help improve your concentration.

I would like to give you the following suggestions to help you come out of this depression quickly:

- Firstly, avoid stress. Don't take too much which you can't handle. Take one step at a time. When stress is unavoidable, tell yourself that it is just a passing phase and that you just have to 'stay afloat', till this bad phase passes away.

- Ensure that you get 7 - 8 hours of continuous sleep everyday. When you’re sleeping too little or too much, your mood suffers. So, get on a better sleep schedule by learning proper sleep habits.

- Follow a healthy lifestyle - with adequate physical exercise and a nutritious and balanced diet. This not only keeps your body healthy, but also helps your mind.

- Avoid alcohol, smoking or any other substances as they all have been associated with many psychiatric disorders, including depression.

- Avoid negative thinking and guilt feelings. Remember, your thoughts determine your emotions and behaviour. If your thoughts are constantly negative, it can pull you down and worsen your stress.

- Develop a strong social and spiritual support system. Have friends / relatives who you can trust and talk to regularly, keep up with social and religious activities frequently.

- Keep your mind always active and engaged - spending time with nature, doing tasks which you enjoy, etc will all help in avoiding depressive thoughts.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist