Ask a Urologist   »  

Took ciprofloxacin for prostate infection. Noticed black mucus in urine and frequent urination. Concerned

I am a male 67 years old. Went to Dr. 2 weeks ago, thought I had a prostate infection took ciprofloxacin for 2 weeks, test showed not prostate, changed medicine to sulfamethox/trimethoprim ds 800-100. Now passing black particles and XXXXXXX mucus like particles in urine. Burning and pressure, urinating numerous times per hour
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 41 minutes later

It looks like severe urine culture test and change antibiotic, may be injections.
To ease symptoms, medicines like azo may be taken. You can also consume enough water and cranberry juice.
The kidneys may have to be checked to look for infection by ultrasonogram - if not done yet.
Hope this helps. Kindly get back for doubts if any.