Ask a Urologist   »  

Took ciprofloxacin, fluconazole for UTI. Having flank pain and leg pain. Does this affect fertility rate?

Sep 2012

Hello Doctor,
I am a woman of 33yrs age,I had urinary tract infection recently and i was prescribed ciprofloxacin, i also took fluconazole 150mg,the pain got relieved for sometime.Now i have severe flank,back ,joints of right leg and complete right leg pain severely .Plz let me know the reason.I dont have children,planning to have one.Does this effect my fertility rate
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 59 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your history indicates possibility of pelvic inflammatory disease which has occurred following the urinary tract infection.

This pelvic inflammatory disease may interfere with fertility. Because, this can give rise to adhesions which inhibits fertilization. Even it may lead to tubal blockage and many more situation. In a word, this disease should be treated meticulously. Do not neglect it.

First of all, you have to do a routine urine examination. After that an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen is necessary in search of any definite sign of pelvic inflammatory disease.

After that a broad spectrum antibiotic like doxycycline group of drug should be taken apart from your current medications. For the pain, you have to take aceclofenac or diclofenac group of drug along with a pantoprazole group of drug.

After completing the course of antibiotic, you have to do a repeat ultrasound scan of abdomen and routine urine examination.

You have to consult with a gynecologist for further management in this regard.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Took ciprofloxacin, fluconazole for UTI. Having flank pain and leg pain. Does this affect fertility rate? 11 minutes later
Hello doc,
Thank you for the fast response.I forgot to inform i have severe turbidity of urine along with white tissue and had been operated last year to remove a fibroid on my uterus, as a part of infertility treatment.I am right now living in Canada and cannot get good treatment immediately, could you suggest some medicines for now
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, your symptoms are really not at all good.

You should immediately do a routine urine examination and after that do an ultrasound scan.

Apart from other medicines start doxycycline group of drug. For pain you should take diclofenac or aceclofenac group of drug. A pantoprazole group of drug is also necessary.

You should consult with a gynecologist immediately. Do not wait any more.

Hope you have your answers.