Took ciproflaxin for prostatitis. Noticed redness on penis tip and soreness on testicle. Prognosis?

Question
I just finished a 4 week course of ciproflaxin for symptoms of prostatitis. I finished on Monday I now have redness on the tip of my penis and sore testicles that are a bit itchy and a bit of a heavy feeling in my abdomen
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Hi
The symptoms pf prostatitis doesnt include soreness. Its more than likely that you have a local reaction. Another cause could be a reaction to the ciprofloxacin.
Now that you have finished the course,observe for a couple of days. If the redness/soreness doesnt subside, then local reaction could be due to skin infection or it could be a reaction to fabric/skin products etc.
Apply aloe vera/calamine lotion over the skin.
You can also apply ice to reduce the redness.
UTI/Urethritis etc also have similar presentation so watch out for burning during urination,discharge etc.

Follow-up: Took ciproflaxin for prostatitis. Noticed redness on penis tip and soreness on testicle. Prognosis? 34 hours later
thank you for your reply ! ummm I still have the redness. kinda has a burning feeling had a small amount of discharge. white and a bit sticky a bit irritated in my groin area as well as my armpit has redness could this be a yeast infection ?? I have read that from taking long courses of antibiotics it could happen as well as using condoms with a certain lube/spermicide ?thank you

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later
It does appear that you may have infection.Discharge usually indicates that. Without a swab test its difficult to say what kind. Urethritis is very common. Yes,using condoms and spermicides can cause a reaction also. So stop using the same brands and change over into a different one. If this is occurring due to that the symptoms should recede. Do a swab test also.You may very well need antibiotics if the discharge continues.

Follow-up: Took ciproflaxin for prostatitis. Noticed redness on penis tip and soreness on testicle. Prognosis? 1 hour later
wouldn't the anti biotics cipeoflaxen take care of anypissible infection ?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later
ciprofloxacin may have been adequate for the prostatitis. but not necessarily for skin reaction/std/allergy etc. The type of infection needs to determined. But first allergy to any product has to be ruled out.