Took cipro for bladder infection. Having diarrhea after eating alternating to regular bowel movements, gas and stomach pain

i took some cipro for a bladder infection for 5 days and i have been having diarrhea every time i eat and then it alternates to regular bowel movements , gas and a little stomach pain my doctor prescribe hyoscyamine for irritable bowel syndrome i been taking for 3 days along with and i am still having problems. getting nervous because i am losing weight and not having a appetite sometimes . could it be something else
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 46 minutes later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Presence of diarrhea after taking cipro may be due to two reasons either it may be side effect of ciprofloxacin or it may be antibiotic associated diarrhea since cipro is XXXXXXX spectrum antibiotic. So what you have to do stop cipro if feasible and take combination of pre and probiotic for few days.

IBS diagnosis is made if symptoms are present at least for 6 months

However it is difficult to make out the reason for loosing weight from above description you have given. I don't know whether weight loss is significant or not, if weight loss is over five days only or it is happening for many days, if there are any other symptoms apart from mentioned above. Moreover loss of apetite is also side effect of cipro.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.