Took ceftin for sinus infection. Why do I have an orange tongue now? Is it dangerous?

I recently took Ceftin 250 mg twice a day for 7 days for a sinus infection. Now for 5 days later, I have an orange tongue. Why was this caused and is it dangerous? What can I do to get rid of the orange color? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later

The orangish or XXXXXXX red discoloration of the tongue can have several causes like geographic tongue, oral candidiasis, vitamin B complex deficiency, chemical burns and contact stomatitis.

In your case, candidiasis or take a closer look. Additionally, I also request you to answer the following questions:
a. Have you noticed any ulcers in your mouth?
b. Do you have a whitish patch anywhere in your mouth that does not simply go away by cleaning?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Took ceftin for sinus infection. Why do I have an orange tongue now? Is it dangerous? 15 hours later
Thank you for your reply! I do not notice any ulcers in my mouth nor do I see any white patches. My tongue doesn't itch either, it just has this off-orange color to it. I am going to try and upload a picture.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

From your description, it seems like you have vitamin B complex deficiency or a geographic tongue. For the treatment of Tab Centrum 1 tablet with meals for about 7-10 days.

You should also take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. If the discoloration still persists, you could visit an otolaryngologist who can perform a complete evaluation and prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.