Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy?

Excellent

Question
I took calcium carbonate to help me reduce acid and it did not help, i did not eat breakfast, the burning on my side extended from my left side to my nave and now it is starting on my right side, and spine feel funny, there is a dullness to it.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Appropriate treatment for excess gastric acid secretion, which causes gastritis does exist. The first thing is actually ascertaining that the symptoms experienced are actually due to excess acid secretion. Gastroduodenal ulcers today are attributed to an infection in 95% of cases called Helicobacter Pylori. Diagnostic tests for this organism do exist, and its useful, on clinical suspicion to ask for a fibroscopy to determine the extent and severity if the disease.
When confirmed, treatment consists of prescribed a three drug dose to eradicate Helicobacter Pylpri, usually within 7days, and a maintenance dose for 6 to 8 weeks, with another drug called proton pump inhibitors. Antacids, like Alluminium hydroxide, Calcium bicarbonate are only for symptomatic treatment.
Life style changes like not staying on an empty stomach for a long time, avoid irritants, pepper and alcohol and foods recognized to trigger this pain.
The priority is to consult your physician to either confirm or infer the diagnosis, and draw up an appropriate management plan. Other diseases could present in a similar fashion.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 56 minutes later
This started last night after i ate some burritos late at night. I had just started taking the calcium carbonate but ealier in the day i had eaten ranch chips, cheddar cheese chips, and two sandwiches. Does what you say still apply?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
there are certain foods that irritate the stomach and could lead to gastric pain. I suggest in this case what you need is first avoiding these foods and taking the antacid (Calcium carbonate, Alluminium hydroxide) for some days.
Avoiding to stay hungry for long periods especially during this period is not advisable, Spicy foods, alcohol and pepper should avoided.
In case pain intensifies or persists, you might need to see your doctor. If not, with these measures, you should come back to normal within a couple of days.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 8 minutes later
Is it normal for it to spread? It started on the left and now i am feeling it a bit on my right side and. From time to time above my bladder.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
it is very normal. It simply means that an abundant quantity of gastric fluid has been secreted, and the pain is an indication of mass gastric irritation.
However, as early indicated, persistence of pain after all measured described are undertaken might imply necessity to associate other more potent drugs or deserve a detailed clinical evaluation once more by your physician to exclude other causes of burning abdominal pain.
But is unusual for the pain to evolve to such a stage with application of the measures.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 6 minutes later
I can't lie down because it starts to burn more,even sitting causes a bit of that. It seems i have to stand a lot. How long before i can lie down?I am taking the calcium carbonate, aloe vera, eating oatmeal and a banana. Is there anything you recommend or should that suffice?

Hi and thanks for the query,
I suggest if the pain persists with the Calcium Carbonate, you might to consult your family physician for an addition of an appropriate new drug or reevaluation, maybe to reorient or change the diagnosis and treatment.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 5 minutes later
I get temporary relief with it. How long should i expect for the burning to persist. If i take acetaminophen to relieve the burning would that be ok or would it be bad for my recovery?

Hi and thanks,
Acetaminophen actually will not have much impact on the gastrointestinal tract. The issue hear is due to increased gastric acid. Uncontrolled, gastric acid will attack the stomach wall and could get aggravated and cause ulcers. Left untreated, perforations of the gastric wall could be some rare but severe complications.
I suggest you XXXXXXX a physician o symptoms actually persist.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

I am asking if i can take the acetaminophen along with the calcium carbonate. I would be taking the calcium carbonate to treat the acid and the acetaminophen to alleviate the feeling of burning on my sides. Is that ok or should i only take the calcium carbonate and not add the acetaminophen.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for your query, I apologize for replying this late.
The issue about surveillance and to actually monitor the clinical evolution of treatment. Acetaminophen is not harmful. But it is more important to know exactly why you are having pain on your sides.
My suggestion is getting on Calcium Carbonate, and if you really have lots of side pain, getting a proper clinical evaluation for it. Maybe some X rays or a scan if very serious depending on clinical appraisal might be needed.
But is however not very good practice to take pain killers, especially for a long time without a clear clinical and scientific justification. I suggest if the pain persists with acetaminophen for a few doctors, you consult your primary care physician.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 16 hours later
It is starting to clear up with the changes and the calcium carbonate. How long shouls i expect tue burning sensation to continue before it fully dies down?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
To actually tell with precision when the symptoms shall completely die down is a bit difficult. If they persist for over a week or two, this might already be an indication of a greater severity of the lesions (erosions) at the level of the stomach, which might deserve much aggressive care rather than antacids like Calcium Carbonate only.
However, I do not expect the pain or acidity to last for more than a week or at most two weeks.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 2 days later
How long after the burning dies down can i begin to eat beef, and spicy food?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 14 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
For beef, I do not think its a big threat. You can eat it as you want. This is only a problem when you particularly react to it. However, very few people react to beef. As far as spies are concerned, I am afraid you might need to greatly reduce the amount of spicy foods, or may be stop in some cases. But actually reducing very much of spicy foods and pepper might be advisable.
A therapeutic window of three to four months after this crises, and consequent taking of very small quantities spicy foods or avoiding them if possible, is my advice. If very impossible, reducing the quantity taken and frequency of intake might be useful.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 2 minutes later
So i can eat beef with out issue, as long as i don't over eat it, but spicy foods i must avoid for a long time. That is ok with me, i have a bit of burning left over, but most of it is gone, so i should i wait till it dies down before eating or its ok for me to eat it now?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 minute later
I think for beef you can go ahead and eat it now, but not spices. This should only be a problem if you react in eating them, which of course is rare.
I suggest you eat the beef now. Its ok.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 7 hours later
I ate papaya and melon all day today along with a fibrous white fruit with no flavor and lots of what. I do t know the name of the fruit. I cant seem to go to sleep now, i slept for and hour and suddenly woke up with lef arm numbing out and feeling flustered. It felt like an anxiety attack and i managed to calm myself down could it be a side effect of something? Or a sign of something else? I am getting muscle spasms all over my body, not all together but from time to time, also i am getting sudden pains on my back or abdomen, the pain starts and ends suddenly never more than a second or two. Could that indicate something else?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I think it should be something else. Melon and some fruits contain a lot of Vitamin C, and Vitamin C interferes with sleeping. his could be one explanation.
Spasms could be related to something else. Generally low Calcium and Magnesium levels. I suggest you just stay calm, take in lots of water and observe for the net 24 hours or so.
Persistence of symptoms might warrant consultation with your low calcium levels or some other condition depending on the case.
For now I suggest you avoid the particular fruit combination and observe for say 24 hours.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Took calcium carbonate to reduce acid. No relief. Experiencing burning sensation on side. Remedy? 12 hours later
I took a super b complex to help with my vitamin intake and instead of feeling better i feel weak and tired. Could it be the pill i took. Also i had a bad nights rest last night. I was constantly waking up.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 hours later
hi and thanks for the query,
I do not think its common for Vitamin B complex to have as side effect weakness, it should be something else , I suppose. If the Vitamin intake contains Vitamin C in it, you might not be able to sleep if you took it in he evening or at night. I suggest you go through to leaflet to see if it contains Vitamin C.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.