Took blood test. High alkaline phosphatase. Should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 64 year old woman. I just had a routine blood test . All the numbers were good except for Alk Phos--298. My doc said , since I hadn't taken previous blood tests for her, she had nothing to compare this possilby, for me, normal level. Would you call this slightly high? thanks
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well this is more than slightly high but if you dont have any symptoms and AST, ALT and bilirubin are fine then you should not worry. this can indicate some passed gallbaldder stone or acute liver damage without serious consequances.
Also, it may indicate some bone disorders and rarely some malignant disease, so all that you need at this point is to repeat test in 6-8 weeks to see progression. If you experience bone pain or liver symptoms you need more detailed work up as soon as possible. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards