Took betnesol injection during pregnancy. Will this affect psychological development in child?

My wife was prescribed 2 doses of Betnesol injection 24 hrs apart during 36 weeks of pregnancy as her fluid level was on the higher side. She took one dose and when I browsed on the internet I found that this medicine will have learning and development disorders in the child in later stage. So we did not go for the second dose. Does this medicine really have any effect on psychological development or intelligence on the child? Also where can I find the authentic information about this as I am seeing mixed response on the internet.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 53 minutes later

Studies have shown that betamethasone is perhaps better than dexamethasone for use in antenatal period for the purpose of enhancing fetal lung maturity when a preterm delivery is expected because of the sulphite content in the latter.

A single course of treatment has not been shown to cause any untoward effects on children at follow up while repeated courses of treatment may cause some effects. Small birth weight, neonatal death and neuro-sensory disability were reportedly higher in those babies where mothers received dexamethasone but studies on psychological development have not been conclusive.

The following links may give you the information you wanted.

ACOG - Antenatal Corticosteroid Therapy for Fetal Maturation
WWW.WWWW.WW › Resources & Publications › Committee Opinions

WHO | Antenatal administration of corticosteroids for women at risk ...

You may discuss the benefits over the risks of the treatment with your attending obstetrician after reviewing these pages. If the risk of taking the injection outweighs the benefits, it should be administered.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.