Took bactrim ds for kidney infection. Got headache, nausea and pain in eye. Side effect?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi I recently took bactrim ds for a kidney infection, but after a day, I got the worst headache I'd ever had. Later I felt nauseas and my eyes began hurting. I then vomited. So I stopped taking the medication yesterday and began to feel better - except my eyes still hurt to touch and move from side to side and I have a headache centred in my temples. How should I manage this? Will it go away?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 58 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
This is known side effect of bactrim and dont take it anymore and ever again. there are many other antibiotics for uroinfection and you should switch to another one such as ciprofloxacin or nitrofurantoin.
Your symtpoms may last for 2-3 days because this medicines is still in blood few days after last dose. Just rest in dark room,take some of the non steroid pain killers and everything will be fine.
If you notice breathing difficulties, rash, dizzines or any progression of headache, you should visit hospital.