Took avodart for hair loss, noticed multiple lumps in breast. Can these be lymph nodes swollen ?

Hi I am a 25 year old male
I took a prescription medication- avodart for hair loss. I had severe symptoms. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a lump in my breast. I went to a doctor which barely felt my chest and said I'm fine. But today I went to an endocrinologist to discuss the symptoms of the drug avodart- I have been off the drug for 6 months. I did have some gyno. The endocrinologist examined my chest and said that that he 3? multiple lumps. The only one I felt was slightly above and to the left of my nipple almost in my armpit. It is not hard and moves around. I am freaking out. He ordered an ultrasound. I am in Canada and the ultrasound is not for 5 weeks. I am going to the US to get it done within 72 hours because I am freaking out. Can these be lymph nodes that are swollen? What tests do you recommend I ask for. I have a prescription for a mammogram or a ultrasound. Should I be very worried?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

AVODART is a drug which prevents the conversion of the male hormone, testosterone into its final active form. The most common side effects of AVODART include trouble getting or keeping an erection (impotence), a decrease in sex drive (libido), ejaculation problems and breast problems (includes breast enlargement, gynecomastia, breast swelling, breast pain, breast tenderness, nipple pain, and nipple swelling).

These breast problems are benign and breast cancer related to AVODART is unusual. The large trials of AVODART have not shown any increased incidence of breast cancers among the trial population.

The lump you can feel is mobile and not hard. Hence, it is benign in all probability. An Ultrasound can confirm this and if the ultrasound findings are also benign then you do not need any further tests. A small part of the breast actually reaches the armpit and it is not possible always to distinguish between a breast swelling in the armpit part or a lymph gland in the armpit. However, normally lymph glands are there in the axillary region and not necessarily of any concern.

I think you should have the ultrasound first. Mammogram in males are not very informative.

You can be rest assured that these are not anything serious and will subside in due course of time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.