Took ativan during periods. Feeling groggy. Be concerned?

Last night and yesterday, in periods of about 6 hours each, i took 4 mgs of Ativan. Total of 24mgs when I woke up this morning. It's 12 hours later, should I be concerned? I feel groggy, but that's about it.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 19 minutes later
Ativan is Lorazepam a medicine belonging to benzodiazepine group.
Commonly used in cases of anxiety and related disorders.
Since you have taken 24 mg it is an overdose of the medicine which can be life threatening.
Symptoms due to overdose include extreme drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, fainting, and even result in coma.
Since you are feeling groggy it is better to get examined by a doctor.
It is advisable for you to stay under medical observation for another 24 hours so please visit a ER ot hospital.
It is a thing you should be concerned about so please do not neglect it and consult a doctor soon.
In future please avoid such over doses and if it is necessarry for you to take any medicine for anxiety or depression you should do so under a guidance of a doctor.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.