Took athletes foot anti fungal over the counter medications for anal itching. Not cured. Proper treatment?

Dec 2012

I have anal itching, around the anus, I've had this condition for several months and have been treating it with several atheletes foot antifungual over the counter medications. Some are more effective than others, but none seem to entirely clear it up. Can you suggest anything? I have been trying to get an appointment with my VA doctor and someday I may be successful but 'till then can you suggest anything ?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting

Anal itching can be an annoying problem as you must have noted, it occurs more often in men and most the time, there is no identifiable cause.
Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are as follows:
- Dietary factors
- Fecal soilage
- Diabetes
- Recent antibiotic use
- Chronic dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea
- Profuse sweating
Possible causes of itchy anus are pinworms, diarrhea, psoriasis, anal fissure, hemorrhoids, skin tags, yeast infection, diabetes, viral infection (genital warts etc), cancer (in very rare cases) and certain chemicals/perfumes/irritants could lead to allergy.
Now what to do at home? It will be important to try to identify the cause yourself. If not possible then apply general measures such as trying not to irritate the skin the more by washing aggressively with soap (allow area to heal by cleaning gently with clean water), change toilet papers (to something soft and less aggressive), wear loose-fitting cotton underwear that will allow air circulation and less sweating, you may use over-the-counter medications such as hydrocortisone cream or zinc oxide etc to further relief the symptoms till you can XXXXXXX your doctor.

Hope this helps