Took atenolol and undergone stress test. Have low heart rate. Is this due to pacemaker?

Hi...I take atenolol 50 mg qd...Friday last I had a stress test with the chemical, and was told to omit the atenolol in the morning when I take it....I goofed&forgot...So I took it at 7a.m&had the stress test at 4p.m....I also have a demand pacemaker that keeps my rate between 68&72...any way..The technicians couldn't get my rate above 71, & blamed the atenolol..I blame the pacemaker../who is right?..and thank you. XXXXXXX Pugsley Cleveland Ohio
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 39 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

I am sorry to say that YOU are NOT right...
The pacemaker will be suppressed when the heart rate goes up / it wont prevent it from rising.
If the heart rate falls below a certain limit, pacemaker takes over...and its upper limit is pre-fixed...
Your heart rate did not rise because of atenolol and the pacemaker was not responsible

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck