Took antibiotics for cellulitis. Lump not getting cured. What should be done?

Sep 2012

I am on my last day of antibiotics for cellulitis, which was on my thumb. When I first noticed it there was a small hard bump on my knuckle, then my thumb became swollen, painful and red. It's not longer red, it no longer hurts, and the swelling has mostly gone down, but the hard lump remains (though it may have gone down a little, it's hard to tell). It's not painful or tender. I don't have a fever and I feel fine. I am going to the doctor for a followup on Tuesday. Should I see someone before then, or is the hard lump still being there normal?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly, I have seen the pictures. The present picture indicates a good response to antibiotic therapy. The swelling has mostly gone. The small bump which is present now is nothing to worry about.
When there is an infection swelling occurs due to formation of pus which is made up of the tissue fluid, high protein content. When antibiotics are given to these lesions, the swelling gradually decreases. It may take upto 2 weeks for total resolution.
When any part of our body is acutely inflammed, then the area is red, tender, swelled up. These are signs of inflammation. In your picture, it is evident in the before part. But, in recent picture, the signs of inflammation are near about absent. Only some swelling present.

One more point is the course of antibiotics. The actual effect of an antibiotic therapy should take place 2 to 3 days after completion of the course. That means, you should wait for 2 to 3 days after completion of the drug.
If the swelling does not go away even after 2 to 3 days after completion of antibiotics therapy, you should consult with your treating doctor for a clinical examination, for changing the antibiotic agent if required and also for further management.

As you told that you have an appointment with doctor on Tuesday, in my opinion, you can wait for Tuesday. But if you see any signs of inflammation like redness, tenderness, pain, increased temperature, you must take an appointment before that and consult.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.