Took antibiotic, steroid injection for sore throat and knee pain. Found high ESR. Do I have cancer?

I have had a sore throat for four weeks.i have had three courses of antibiotics during the first course I had to have a steroid injection to help with knee pain. My gp sent me for blood test. I got the results back today of a doctor that I don't usually see he told me that my esr is quite high. I have depression and I am really worried that I have got cancer
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 47 minutes later
Thanks for the query

The high ESR does not signifies that you are having cancer. ESR is not a diagnostic test but it is an indicator in the disease process. It rises in conditions like chronic inflammations and even anemia and declines back to normal when the disease progression stops or recovery occurs.

The raised ESR can be a result of your prolonged sour throat therefore before going to depression without any reason, discuss your problem with your doctor and feel free to ask anything concerned about your health. you may need some further tests to do to find out reason for raised ESR.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask