Took antibiotic for viral infection. Now feeling fatigued, nauseated, back pain and imbalanced. Related?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is 29. He had food poisoning/or viral infection 3 months ago which forced him to hospital to get intravenous. His initial symptoms were bloating after dinner, fatigue, a little nausea. He was put on antibiotics for 10 days. Stomach is almost 100% better, but still has fatigue and recently feels off balance at times. Also, recently had tailbone pain for 2 weeks, which mysteriously went away overnight. Another day he had pain in his elbows, which went away. Today he woke up with back pain. At times he still gets a little nauseous. Can this all be related to the virus?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Yes , fleeting pains can be a symptom of recent viral infection but it usually resolves in a month or two . If there is persistent pain on off there might be a possibility of drug induced sideffects ( eg fluoroquinolone induced joint pain or neuropathy) or a inflammatory or autoimmune disorder or a persistent chronic bacterial infection .
To confirm the diagnosis a thorough neurological evaluation and investigation might be needed.
So if it's already been more than two months since his hospitalisation and he still has these symptoms , you need to get him evaluated by his physician or a neurologist .
If the symptoms are decreasing and it's less than 6-8 weeks since his treatment completion then it's most likely the sequelae to the viral infection and you can wait and watch for self resolution.
Meanwhile starting a balanced diet or multivitamin supplements and a regular exercise schedule ( brisk walk or yoga ) might hasten his recovery.
Hope that answers your query.
Please feel free to ask any further doubts.
Follow-up: Took antibiotic for viral infection. Now feeling fatigued, nauseated, back pain and imbalanced. Related? 17 minutes later
Thank you. I forgot to mention my son saw a gastro specialist, who prescribed a strong antibiotic which did seem to relieve the stomach issue. The blood tests were all negative. Physically, there were no red flags. no weight loss either. Its' just scary when this virus is lasting so long and he cannot feel healthy in so long. do you think he should still get checked out by neurologist or wait it out? I'm going to call his dr tomorrow just to get his opinion too. As a mother, I am nervous it is something else. thanks again
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
As I already mentioned this could be sequelae of viral fever or sideffect of antibiocs ( if ciprofloxacin or related fluoroquinolone was given .
Yes it would be good to discuss he issue with your doctor .
In either case the symptoms should not be worsening or so prolonged so an opinion by a neurologist would be advisable if it persists beyond a couple of weeks more.
Till then you might wait for self resolution and do make necessary healthy lifestyle changes .
I understand you concern as a caring and vigilant parent and appreciate your efforts . But please do not worry , especially since his investigations are normal it doesn't seem a very worrisome situation . I hope it resolves soon.
Wishing him good health.