Took antibiotic for throat infection. Diagnosed with bacterial infection. Took augmten, azithral. Second opinion?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi doctor

My name is XXXXXX

I am from saudi arabia

I was in bangalore before 1 month

That time i had sore throat from right side , i didn't take medicine

I went to saudi arabia , there i met doctor he gives me antibiotic and tablet for flu

Nothing change ater that went to ent speiaclist and he told me u got bacterial infection

He gave me augmten 1 gm for 10 days also nothing change

I came to india and i met general doctor he gave me oflaxcin for 7 days
And i felt better but the infection still there

Went to ent spcialist in bangalore , he said the same bacterial infection and gave me azithral for 5 days also felt better but not at all

I have also acid refluex , i am burbing too much and i can feel the food taste in my mouth

Sometime i feel like something stuck in my throat

Now feeling better but doctor said there is redness and infection still is there

And the lymph node reduced too much but still feel like soething stuck in my throat right side

Please doctor what i should do

Note : medications

Augment 1 gm, oflaxcin 200, azithral , and esomeprozole and ebast dc

Should be i worry about serouis issue?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. If there is any resistant infection, it will show up in the report. The medication may then be changed accordingly.

3. If the report is clear then you may have a viral infection where antibiotics are ineffective. However with supportive treatment the symptoms may be controlled. Supportive treatment includes anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic medication and medicated gargles.

4. Multiple antibiotics have lead to a stomach upset and acid reflux, hence the constant burping, tasting food in the throat and feeling of some thing stuck in the throat. An anti reflux medication (such as Omeprazole, Pantoprazole or Rabeprazole) and probiotics (such as Vibact or Providac) will help.

5. This is unlikely to be a serious problem at your age and should not be a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for throat infection. Diagnosed with bacterial infection. Took augmten, azithral. Second opinion? 17 minutes later
Thanks doctor

But can viral infection take 4 weeks ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, viral infections may last several weeks and you have been travelling. Therefore there is a possibility of sudden climate change and of opportunistic infections taking advantage of the decreased immunity.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for throat infection. Diagnosed with bacterial infection. Took augmten, azithral. Second opinion? 19 hours later
Hi doctor

Doctor , is it common to have infection on one side

Sometimes i feel right side is blocked

In my case , should i have endoscope

Doctor i am very worry about it

Is it just infection

All these symptoms is from infection

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, infections can be worse on one side.

2. All these symptoms will settle down if you follow the instructions mentioned above.

3. There is no cause for worry.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for throat infection. Diagnosed with bacterial infection. Took augmten, azithral. Second opinion? 35 hours later
Hi doctor

I did the throat swab

It's negative

Now what i should do

Pain is dcreased when i take ebast dc (i feel comfortable for sometime )

Is the result affected becasue i got multiple of antibiotic or no ?

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If your throat swab is negative, there may be a resolving bacterial infection or a viral infection.

2. Start the supportive medication (in consultation with your doctor) as outlined above. Decreased pain with the anti-allergic is a good sign.

3. Begin your ant-reflux and probiotics to counteract the effect of too many antibiotics.

Regards.