Took antibiotic for strep throat. Having neck pain and numbness on cheek. Are they related?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have had strep throat a week ago, I have been on antibiotics and definitely feeling better, but here is what is not moving toward good, my ears... First my right ear went plugged now left. I hear quality of having ear plugs in. Now realize just a little numbness on my right cheek. My vision seems to be catching up a second late, and my neck has been bothering me over 10 days... Don't even know if there is any relation, also my head skin so sensitive that I can't brush my hair. Thanks in advance,
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache, facial pain and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
5. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol is beneficial in reducing the consistency of secretions, thus reducing the block and headache.
6. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon