Took antibiotic for pneumonia. Now tested for leural effusion with no fever. What is going on?

Jun 2013
10 days ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia and completed a course of antibiotics and felt fine. Then 4 days ago it felt like the pneumonia returned, but imaging showed no pneumonia but instead pleural effusion. BUT I HAVE NO FEVER. What's going on with (apparently parapneumonic) pleural effusion WITH NO FEVER?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 4 hours later

After you have a bout of pneumonia, it is not unusual to have a parapneumonic effusion that can last for a long time without you having any symptoms of pneumonia. It is a part of the healing process. Therefore you need not be concerned.

I am not sure if you suffer with headaches and / or migraines, I see your category as headache and migraines. If you have them, please describe so that I may be able to help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to address any other queries.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for pneumonia. Now tested for leural effusion with no fever. What is going on? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. Sompur,

Thank you for your reply. I must have accidentally selected the Headaches & Migraines category; I do not have headaches or migraines.

Regarding the healing process that you mention, could you give an approximate timeframe for this process for the physical stages I can expect to go through as I heal. What can I expect my body to feel like, since right now I have many of the physical symptoms of my pneumonia (lower back pain; extreme pain when taking deep breaths, laughing, coughing, hiccuping, and moving my body in certain ways; although no fever or persistent cough).

Also, could you explain in detail the mechanism by which this healing will occur -- i.e., how exactly will the fluid in my pleural cavity disappear? Please note that some of the fluid (150 cc) was removed 2 days ago by thoracentesis, yet I don't feel any relief in my lower back and diaphragm region.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 44 hours later
Hi there,

Was the fluid-parapneumonic effusion aspirate sent for analysis and if yes, what was the result of the analysis? I will be better able to answer your questions if you have results of these tests. You can upload the reports, if you have any. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

It may be good to take central muscle relaxants and analgesics to help you get through the day and sedatives to help you get through the night if you are having problems with functioning during day and night.

I hope this helps for now.

Take care and have a lovely day!