Took antibiotic for pleurisy with collapsed lungs. Suffering from pain in shoulder. Any cure?

Jan 2013

I was diagnosed with pleurisy 6 months ago with partially collapsed lung due to infection. The infection was treated with antibiotics but I am still suffering quite a lot of pain in my side and shoulder, for which I have been taking paracetamol, which is losing its effect. I have read that there is no cure for any but mild pleurisy, but is there help for the pain ? My GP tried me with morphinre, but that gave me agonizing "biliary colic".
Any suggestions as to "cure" ?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, persistence of pain after pleurisy with collapsed lungs appears to be least.
Pleurisy is actually a sort of inflammation and associated with all sign & symptoms of inflammation just like fever, redness, swelling and increased temperature.
After recovery of infection, pleurisy is also recovered.
There may be possibilities of pleuritic patch with adhesion causing pain in parietal pleura and visceral pleura (pleura has two layers: outer one is parietal and inner one is visceral; parietal pleura is sensitive to pain), neuropathic pain at site of pleurisy.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for repeat chest x XXXXXXX and if necessary, then you should also go for CT chest for better clarification.
Meanwhile, you should take Tramadol for control of pain on written prescription of your treating doctor.
This is effective in control of visceral pain.
Tramadol is associated with side effects such as constipation and in such case, you can take flupirtine from your treating doctor.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for pleurisy with collapsed lungs. Suffering from pain in shoulder. Any cure? 27 hours later
Thank you. I originally had severe chest pain with night sweats, which ceased after 3 days of amoxicillin I have had 3 followup chest Xrays, which showed little improvement after three courses of amoxicillin. My GP prescribed Tramadol for the pain but it produced similar symptoms (?biliary colic) to the morphine, so was abandoned. I do not tolerate NSAIDS because of stomach problems, so use paracetamol which takes the edge off the pain, but, after 6 months I am getting desperate for better pain releif, or, preferably cure of pleurisy, which I gather is rare.
Yours sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
Prolonged use of paracetamol is also associated with multiple side effects.
You can use Etodolac and Flupirtine for relief of pain as it is associated with lesser side effects.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava