Took antibiotic for gonorrhea. Found pus cell in urine test. Prescribed antibiotic. What is going on?

Question
I was diagnosed for Gonorrhea 2 years back. I had taken antibiotics as suggested by Doctor. Recently I did Urine routine and found Pus Cells - 8-10/hpf. Doctor suggested for antibiotics again. Does the Pus Cells mean that Gonorrhea is still present? What should I do? I am married. Will my wife get the infection? Please help
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The pus cells means that you are having gonorrhea again. The are certain other organisms that cause urinary tract infection among which the commonest is E.coli. If you are having infection then there are chances that your wife may get infection.

There is urine test known as Urine culture and sensitivity which will show the organism responsible for causing the infection and the antibiotic effective against that organism. I will recommend you to go for that test before start antibiotics blindly.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for gonorrhea. Found pus cell in urine test. Prescribed antibiotic. What is going on? 5 minutes later
Thank you for the answer doctor. Is pus cells 8-10/hpf a bad count? Is it severe or mild or fine? I will get back to you with the urine culture and sensitivity report.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 20 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

Your pus cell count is very low as there are normally 3-4 pus cell/HPF present. It is a very much mild infection. While waiting for the test reports as it takes about 72 hours you can use cranberry extract tablets which is very much effective in such infections and do get back to me with the reports.

Thanks