Took antibiotic for fibromyalgia. Red bumps developed behind ear. Diagnosed with eczema. Treatment?

Two years ago I became sick with a bad virus, require two antibiotics. (I have Fibromyalgia) I was very worn out by this and it took two months to recover. I noted at the time that I started to have a red area from the right ear down my neck..I developed small raised bumps. I again became sick in February, also requiring two antibiotics. I was also working in a locked ward for Memory Care residents. ( lots of germs). The red area continued to grow and bumps continued to spread. They are now across my entire neck and go to the back of the neck. they remind me of moles or warts but are smooth. Occasionally they itch as does the neck. It is very ugly. I have seen three dermatologists who thought it was eczema. I have had multiple injections of cortisone...this did not take the bumps away but eased the inflammation. I have also used cortisone creams. A biopsy on my chest not directly on the lumps, said dermatitis, which I do have. Do you have any further suggestions? This just keeps getting worse. I live in a Southern Climate. Thank You
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
As three dermatologists thing it is eczema, I would presume it is eczema only. But to treat the condition, it should be known, what kind of eczema it is
It could be a photo dermatitis( sun induced as it is present over sun exposed site specifically) or seborrheic dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis etc.
As you had episodes of infections as well there could be a possibility that area is secondarily infected( characterised by oozy lesions or pustules over the top of rashes)
I would like to know if the concerned area healed completely in past only again to develop similar lesions in february (want to rule ou shingles where you develop blisters or small red lesions over red base only on one side of body)
If it is eczema, i would advise you to apply a stronger steroid antibiotic combination like mometasone fusidic acid combination along with oral antihistaminics like tablet cetirizine. One can take oral steroids if lesions are extensive but the same can only be prescribed by your dermatologist.
If possible kindly send an image of concerned area, so that I can help you in a better way
Hoping to hear from you soon.