Took antibiotic for cough. Noticed blotchy patch between eyebrows and nose. Safe remedy?

Excellent
Question
Hello
I've had a bad cough for 9 weeks and I've been on these antibioctics for 10 days I finished them on monday what I wanted to ask you is since Monday night my face felt like it was really burning up and it was bright red and it was quiet blotchy although it did calm down a bit I was still left with a blotchy patch between my eyebrows and half way down my nose and the same has happened again the second night in a row now can you Be able to tell me what it could be ive never had this before
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The description provided by you is suggestive of skin allergy. It could be because of the antibiotic you used or because of a new cream or lotion you just started. Just confinement of the patch to the face suggests it could be because of a local cause.

Is there any itching associated? Did you have anything new in the food that you had?

Antihistaminics may be prescribed by your doctor after examination if a diagnosis of skin allergy is made. Calamine lotion may be useful.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for cough. Noticed blotchy patch between eyebrows and nose. Safe remedy? 4 hours later
Hello
I have finished the antibioctics now but it's spread to my chest area a bit.can I get a skin allergy even tho I didn't get any allergies when I was taking them and if so is it XXXXXXX and how long will it last and is this normal after taking antibioctics and also how long will the allergy last

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Normally a drug allergy starts few days after starting a drug or after few doses. Since it started after the medicine is stopped and nothing occurred during those ten days it is unlikely that the medicine has caused it. However allergy to other substances cannot be ruled out.

Absence of previous history of allergies to drugs does not guarantee that a person may not have any allergy to any medicines.

I suggest you to visit a competent dermatologist for careful clinical examination. If it is allergy then it may disappear in few days after the basic allergen is removed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Hello
Ok so just to confirm I stopped taking the antibioctics and as soon as I stopped taking them that morning my skin began to burn in the evening and then it went all blotchy and has been on my face ever since so is it possible for me to have a reaction so soon after I've stopped taking them ? The reason I asked you is because the antibioctics I was using was treating my cough but it also was for treating rosace that many people get on their faces although myself I have never suffered from anything like that so I am bewilderd as to why I've got it now and also I didn't eat anything different and I've not used any new lotions either

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Stopping of antibiotic will not cause rosacea. Do not worry about that.

It could be a side effect of the antibiotic that you just stopped (less likely though because the problem started after stopping the antibiotic and never occurred during the course of it). You may require to consult your doctor who after complete physical examination and investigations if required can come to a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.