Took antibiotic for chest infection. Have mild fever and coughing up mucus. What should be done?

Hi, I'm a 31 year old female and I've been feeling ill since the start of January. I caught a chest infection on holiday in Cuba which lasted for about three weeks. I was given antibiotics in Cuba and I thought I was starting to feel better so started exercising again a few weeks after I got back... though I never really felt like I had fully recovered because I still felt quite tired.

For the last week, I've been very stressed due to work and not sleeping. Last night I slept very well after a day of mountain biking but woke up this morning feeling exhausted. I've been coughing periodically all day and coughing up mucus at times. The cough is not as bad as it was in Cuba.. this time the mucus is whitish, rather than green/yellow.

Right now, I feel weak, exhausted and like I have a temperature. I would like to know if you think this requires antibiotics or what I should do. I plan to visit my GP too as my immune system seems to be pretty awful recently.
Feeling very frustrated because it's now been months since I felt like I had energy.

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 30 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

According to your history I suspect you were suffering from bronchitis.
It is inflammation of the air passages or bronchioles of lungs due to bacterial or sometimes viral infection.
Bronchitis shows symptoms of constant cough, mucus production,post nasal drip, fever and these symptoms correspond with your condition.
As you completed your course of antibiotic and feeling better now.
I would suggest you to take rest as you just have come out of the state of infection . exercise and physical exertion may lead to stress and fever,cough and make the condition worse s your immunity is low at present due to stimulation of antibiotics.
so avoid exercise and follow healthy diet which helps in builting immunity.
You need to visit a physician and take his opinion on low immunity and nutrition plan.

I hope this information was satisfactory,
Get well soon ,
Let me know if you need further assistance.

Take care,
Dr.Farah Hussain.