Took antibiotic for acute diverticulitis. Feeling bloated. Found thickening of sigmoid colon. Colon cancer?

Just finished 10 days of 2 heaven duty antibiotics for tx of acute diverticulitis when they did the CT they also saw thickening of sigmoid colon which may be related to diverticuli but having a colonoscopy in XXXXXXX to rule out neoplasm. Mother died of colon cancer. The PA said they may have to do a virtual scope ..I have two questions what little bowel movements I have aren't usually formed but when they are they XXXXXXX little and pencil thin but not to much cramping any more.but still feel very bloated if I eat. If this continues should I wait till XXXXXXX to see the gastrologist ? Second question what do you think of virtual scope. I have never had polyps so I don't think I can get colon cancer
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later

I think the most important in your case is the positive family history that your mother had colon cancer.

I understand that the finding of thickening of the wall of the sigmoid colon could very well be from chronic inflammation due to diverticulitis, it is imperative that we rule out any possibility of cancer.
Virtual colonoscopy can detect polyps greater than 2 cm. more accurately but it is not very good in detecting flat lesions or cancers smaller in size. They cannot biopsy anything at the same time.

There is really no reason for you to have a virtual colonoscopy or a CT- Colography with your family history. I would really want you to have a good and thorough colonoscopy by a competent gastroenterologist who can check the colon and also take a biopsy at the same time to find out if you have any problems. You can do this in one procedure than having two procedures. I have nothing against good PAs but in this case it does not make any sense to have a virtual colonoscopy with all due respects to the well intentioned PA.

Just the fact you had no polyps before does not rule out any new lesions.

I wish you the very best, please contact the Gastroentrology specialist.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for acute diverticulitis. Feeling bloated. Found thickening of sigmoid colon. Colon cancer? 29 minutes later
The PA is part of the gastrologist practice She does the office visit interview required by insurance before having procedure. I have to see them on regular basis because of past thorasic surgery and Barrett's Thank you for the heads up about the virtual colonoscopy the second question was how long should I wait if the bowel issues I previously mentioned before being a concern. I never had a diverticulitis attack before. Don't want to go through that again. I did just have my thyroid removed because of cancer and they are still trying to get hormone regulated and said that can also have some effect on elimination.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 10 hours later
Since you just had acute diverticulitis, I would recommend
that you need to give enough healing time. Usually any where
from 6-8 weeks and upto three months.
As I mentioned before , you are better off with colonocopy than
CT-Colograpfy or virtual colonoscopy.
I wish you the very best.