Took anti-anxiety drug. Have itchy palms and fingers. How to get relief?

My hands, specifically my palms and fingers have been itchy for the last four days. Started suddenly and doesn't seem to want to stop. Just ended a long bout of sinusitis. Went to hospital ER last weekend and was given an anti-anxiety drug. Could the itching be due to stress. My stress was off the charts for the sinusitis, which went on 9 weeks. I am taking Singulaire and started Atavan yesterday for anti-anxiety. Is there anything I should try OTC to relieve the itching. Do I need to be tested?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Itching can be stress induced like in pompholyx where stress induces small blisters and
itching around fingers and hands.

You need to take OTC antihistaminic drugs like Tab Zyrtec or benadryl for itching.
Try diverting your mind .Try to destress.
No testing is needed at present .
Use good quality moisturizer twice or thrice daily.
Take tablet Zyrtec twice.
You should be fine within a weeks time.

Hope this helps.
If you need any further clarification I will be available for follow up.