Took anavar. Planning for pregnancy. Will this medicine cause any affect on pregnancy?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I took anavar for 3 months at a low dose. My husband and I are planning to try for a baby next year and I was wondering since I took anavar this year can it affect my baby if I become pregnant next year? Like does it stay in the system and cause fetal abnormalities or birth defects? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 46 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your precautionary concern regarding your future pregnancy.

Anavar contains a mildly anabolic steroid called Oxandrolone. It is a relatively short-acting medication and gets completely eliminated from the body within a few days. So, if you are planning your pregnancy next year, then the Anavar which you had taken this year, will certainly not affect the fetus or cause any birth / developmental anomalies.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Consultant