Took amoxicillin for cold. Getting particles in mouth. Used saline to clear sinus. Any infection?

I had a cold that got in my head, 4 weeks ago, 2 weeks into it I went to doctor and was prescribed amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets,ten day supply. feel better but.... ( when I yawn deeply I have had a infection taste/ smell and have had a couple times over two weeks had a small (half size of rice grain) particle come from the back of my mouth/throat. much like some old food particle but when I sqeeze it in my fingers and smell it, I can tell it is infection. I have used saline nose wash to try and clear my sinuses but wonder if it could be from ear canals? Again, only get it if I do a XXXXXXX yawn which seems to put pressure on my sinuses and almost seems as if I am pushing out some infection. the first doctor said he saw some redness in my ear but did not look closely at my throat although there is no soreness there, maybe a little in ear/ sinuses but not really much.
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
After going through your description I would like to put up a few questions to you:
1) Are you having any fever at present?
2) Are you having a sore throat or sinus headache at present?
3) Does your ear ache?
4) Are you having cold right now?
I would be glad if you can provide me with these details so that I can serve you better.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Took amoxicillin for cold. Getting particles in mouth. Used saline to clear sinus. Any infection? 21 hours later
1) no fever
2) maybe some slight sinus headache sometimes, nothing very noticeable
3) some ear canal feel of being plugged but hearing is just fine
4) no cold present
Only seem to get this when I do a XXXXXXX yawn, and I mean the type where you stretch mouth wide with eyes close and only near the end of that yawn do i sometimes get the smell and taste of infection.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 32 minutes later
Thanks for your clarification.
The solid particles that you are talking about may be actually old food particles that get accumulated at various places in the throat and come out when you exert pressure over the area. Tonsil and adenoids are other areas where the food particles may stay lodged. They are firm and are very smelly. Unless you have the above mentioned problems of active cold/infection/fever, you need not worry about the residual infection. Our body is strong enough to take care of any minor infection. We need to treat it only if our body defenses are overpowered.
You can try warm saline gargles and betadine gargles to clear your throat.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health!