Took aggrenox BID for posterior cerebellar CVA. Now on dipyridamole. Is it the right medication?

Nov 2013

I had a posterior cerebellar CVA and was placed on Aggrenox BID 5 years ago. Recently my prescription coverage changed and now I take Dipyridamole 75mg TID. Aggrenox BID gives 400mg of dipyridamole in 24 hours while now i
only take 225mg in 24 hours. My doctor is excellent, but I want to double check the dosage. I weigh 260lbs and am male.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need dipyridamole 400 mg per day

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with you that you require dipyridamole 400 mg per day, as the research done to prove its efficacy had used that dosage. 225 mg per day may not provide the protection from recurrent stroke that we are looking for.

So, you should discuss this with your doctor. If 400 mg of dipyridamole is not possible, then, other options include clopidogrel 75 mg per day or aspirin 150-325 mg per day.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Follow-up: Took aggrenox BID for posterior cerebellar CVA. Now on dipyridamole. Is it the right medication? 46 hours later
Do you believe it would be OK to stop dipyridamole all together? I would just take aspirin 325mg a day. My CVA was 51/2 years ago and I have not had any issues since. I have hypertension and take meds for that, but no other risk factors. No CAD, no diabetes, no smoking. Of interest also, my MRI at the time showed that except for one small area or tortuosity in the PCA (probably born with it) I was completely clean otherwise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would agree with you

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it would be alright to stop dipyridamole altogether. Taking aspirin 325 mg or clopidogrel 75 mg once daily would give you the same protection. The idea here is to prevent strokes in the future. With your risk factor (hypertension) being well controlled, the future strokes can definitely be prevented.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)