Took acetopetaphine. Felt the pill went down the wrong tube. Is the pill still effective?

when taking acetopetaphine, I think the pill "went down the wrong tube".... Is the pill still effective? And how do I know if it really did go down the wind pipe? And should I take another?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question.

It is very unlikely that the tablet could have gone down your wind pipe. This is because as soon as any external particle or foreign body tries to enter the windpipe, the body's cough reflex kicks in and expells the foreign body out. So, it is unlikely that such a big tablet could have gone into your windpipe without any resistance.

Sometimes, when food or medication is not swallowed properly, it can cause a mild ulceration in the food pipe, which may give a feeling that something is "stuck". So, if you are feeling any discomfort or strange sensation in your throat, this could be the case. If so, you don't have to worry or do anything about it and it will heal on its own within a day or two.

If you don't have any breathing difficulty or noisy breathing or cough, then you don't have to get worried. And you don't have to take another tablet.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar