Took a slapshot to the ankle. Hurts to touch, looks swollen, feels bruised. Worrisome

I took a slapshot to the ankle 10 days ago to the ankle. There was never any bruising, but it definitely hurt on the touch and it looks a little swolen. I can walk/run/skate fine, However, it seems to be spreading up my leg. The top of my XXXXXXX now feels bruised. Then most recently my inner thigh feels bruised on the touch as well.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

There are a couple of concerns with the symptoms you have reported.

The first concern would be that you have some type of infection of your leg. This can create areas of soreness and swelling as well as sometimes some bruising. The only real good treatment for this is antibiotics as well as elevation of the leg.

The second concern would be that you have a type a blood clot in your leg as well. This is more worrisome because the blood clot can sometime spread to other parts of the body such as the long.

With your symptoms and history I have to recommend that you proceed to your nearest urgent care facility or hospital for immediate evaluation. The doctors at this facility can formulate an opinion during their physical examination and consultation and provide you with the appropriate treatment.

Thank you again for sending your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert