Took a lot of thyroxine sodium tablet. What are the risk?

Doctor, i took 13 tablets of thyroxine sodium 100mg, 13x100mg..... what will happen?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 31 minutes later
Welcome to health care magic.,
You have mentioned that you took 13tablets ..
let me know why you took them?
Has any body advised you?
Is it accidental or suicidal ?
Coming to the point thyroxine pills available in mcg (micrograms) not in mg as per the details you gave , you took 1300mcg .

Symptoms of thyroxine excess :
2. Palpitations
3.shaking tremors
4. Increased body temperature
5.severe anxiety , restlessness
7.cardiac arrhythmias.

Follow-up: Took a lot of thyroxine sodium tablet. What are the risk? 31 minutes later
Thank you sir,, i took the tablet yesterday by mistake.... just thinking... But there is no symptoms till now. Please suggest....
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 13 minutes later

Welcome back to XXXXXXX

I have few more questions for you,

Tell me clearly how many tablets you took ?
I am asking this again because, if you are sure that you took really 13 pills of 100 micrograms, then definitely you should have symptoms of above mentioned thyroxine overdose symptoms.
I am really wondering that you didn't complain of any symptoms.

Anyway, I advise you to have a check at your clinical condition. Go to the nearest physician and check your blood pressure and heart rhythm. Then follow the instructions of your treating physician.

On XXXXXXX I cannot recommend any medicine without examining you directly.

If you need any clarification, I will surely help you.

Follow-up: Took a lot of thyroxine sodium tablet. What are the risk? 1 hour later
Thank you sir,

I took less than 10 tablets(not sure), 23 hours before. I dont find any symptoms till now. But please let me know if there is any problem in future. Pls. suggest.

By this stage what doctor would prefer. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 2 hours later

Generally symptoms of thyroxine overdose appears within few hours after taking the pills, but in contrary you are not complaining of any above mentioned symptoms. And it's already 24hrs been over, so there is no chance of appearing the symptoms of thyroxine excess later on. Fortunately you cannot expect any future issues, because once the pills enters into the body , thyroxine will be metabolized in the body by liver. Therefore, if the symptoms appear, they would have appeared with in few hours.

I can consider your request about the advice of medications.

It is unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs, as I have not examined you clinically.

Hope you understand.