Took a flu shot, itching skin, swollen spot, bumps in hand, took benadryl. Serious?

My daughter is almost 9. Yesterday morning she had her flu shot. Today, her skin started itching and the arm where she got her shot is swollen. Tonight the itching is causing some bumps on her hands and belly. I gave her some benadryl, and now almost three hours later, the swelling on her is going down and the rash on her hands are hardly showing, but her the rash on her legs and feet have increased and are still very itchy. Should i be concerned?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 14 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does she have fever?
2.) Does she complain of Muscle ache, headache or fatigue?

I would like to let let you know that these are the side effects of the Shot and there is no cause to worry as the symptoms will gradually subside on their own in 3 to 5 days without any treatment.

You should be concerned if the symptoms persist and keep on increasing in severity beyond a week. For severe itching, you can apply calamine lotion over the rashes which will symptomatically reduce the itching, if it doesn't help, you should be seeing her Pediatrician at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish your Daughter Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.