Took a fall, pain in left butt cheek, swelling and pain worsening. Treatment ?

Question
I took a fall on my left butt cheek it hurt a little but steadily got worse now the pain is worse and my butt cheek is swelled up. I am 46 years old in good shape and did this skateboarding on vert. My butt cheek is very swollen and painful.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Steady pain in the butt cheek after a fall associated with swelling might be due to- A bony injury or a hematoma- an internal bleeding.
In both the cases, this problem needs a medical attention and investigations like X-Ray and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult an orthopedician who can guide you through the tests.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your leg- do not bear any weight on it.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Cold compresses to your hip will be useful pain relieving measure. Do not apply any local analgesic gel on that area as massaging might aggravate more bleeding and infection.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.