Took Zpack and clindamycin. Experiencing diarrhea, bloating. Blood test and c diff negative. Prognosis?

I was on Clindamycin for five days and on the fifth day I developed wattery diherra. I went to the doctor the next day and she took me off the medican and did a stool sample. They did a rapid test for cdiff and it came back negitave and they also did a culture test for paratites and salminella. I also went to my blood test and all functions were fine and no signs of infection. It has been a week and i have only had one almost regular bowel movement. I have a lot of gas and bloting and cramping before i go to the bathroom. I also am having gas pain. I am so freaked out that I have c diff. I have no blood in my stool just water. I am in so much anxiety that i have c diff. is it normal to have this diherra for a week. Also i forgot to mention that I was on z pac before Clindamycin. Zpack was for suinus infection and Clindamycin was for a dental absess.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Looks like you are having antibiotic associated diarrhea which can last for weeks also. A negative stool Clostridium difficile infection reasonably rules out the infection. Do not worry.

Post diarrhea disturbed intestinal bacterial flora can cause these kind of symptoms.

Can take a pro-biotic available over-the-counter. Also mild antispasmodic can relieve pain and diarrhea both.

Both the antibiotics you took are notorious to cause these symptoms.

If symptoms still persist for more than a week can repeat an Clostridium difficile test to double check. If positive, it is an easily treatable condition.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.