Took Xanax for stress and anxiety. Could still be drowsy and eyes dilated?

hi there doc ,

last week end i took 10/12 2mg xanax for oure stress and anxiety, i havent touched one sinve yet my my wife disbelieves me as she claims that she can still see it in my eyes. Would it be possible after 3/4 days and having taking so much of a dosage and not been use to it that i could still be drowsy and eyes dilated.

Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The half life of a drug is the time it takes for the amount of the medication in the body to decrease by half. It is thought that 3 to 5 half lives are needed for a medication to be completely eliminated.

The half life of xanax is generally about 11.2 hours in most adults though it can range from 6.3 to 26.9 hours. This pertains to dose between 0.5 mg to 3 mg.

With those doses, at an average half life of 11 hours, it would take up from 1 1/2 days to 2 1/2 days for it to be completely eliminated.

Since you used more than this (between 20 mg and 24mg) it would take alot longer . It may range from 11 days to 22 days for it to be completely eliminated though you should feel better before this.
This is just the time for complete elimination from the blood stream.

So it is possible that you can still feel the side effects now and they may still be visible to your wife..

Using this medication in such high concentration can lead to significant problems.

If you are feeling stressed ,anxious or depressed you may want to consider seeing your doctor for help.
Anxiety and depression are common and can be treated with medication and therapy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions