Took Utovlan to delay periods. Pregnancy test positive. Is this medication harmful?

May 2013
I was taking Utovlan to delay my period when on holiday. when i came off it i didnt bleed and took a pregnancy test a week later which was positive. i was obviously taking utovlan whilst pregnant - is that harmful?
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

utovlan contains norethisterone, which is a synthetic progesterone.
this can be used to induce periods.

progesterone is the hormone of pregnancy and it is responsible for growth of endometrium, so that implantation of embryo occurs.

so, there is no harm even you used that during pregnancy.
sometimes progesterone can be prescribed for maintenance of pregnancy.

so you don't worry about it,
take regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations under guidance of your doctor that is sufficient.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.