Took Prosac with no water. Pill feels like it stuck in throat and burning. How to get relief?

Took a prosac with no water about 1.5hrs ago. Pill feels like it stuck in throat, burning. Really hurts... I'm 16 yr old girl. This is normal dose, i forgot to take earlier.
How can I get relief?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

Pills can get stuck momentarily in throat if taken without water and often people get a cough reflex (which is a protective reflex mechanism). To dislodge it, try coughing it up. If that does not work, try drinking some water to force it down.

Sometimes, you will feel a foreign body sensation persisting even when the pill has gone down. This is due to the pill touching the wall of throat while making its passage down the esophagus and can remain for a while.

Do not attempt to put your fingers into your mouth to cough or vomit, it can hurt the mucosa at the back of the throat.

I hope this answers your question,
Write back in case of doubts,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.