Took Percocet at smaller intervals than advised. Chances of permanent liver damage?

After foot surgery , I was prescribed to take Percocet 5mg/ 325 for 2 days. The directions said to take 2 every four hours but I took 2 every 3 hours. Now my doctor says that now I might have given myself e liver damage for life?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 hours later

The maximum recommended dose of perocet 5/325 is 12 tablets a day as recommended by your doctor, but you have taken 16 tablets.

Usually perocet overdose causes side effects like gastrointestinal, liver damage and kidney damage.

Usually the cut off level of toxic dose for acetaminophen is described as 60mg/kg/day. You can calculate that as per your body weight.

If the patient has taken toxic doses he/she needs antidote therapy of N-acetylcysteine 140 mg/kg followed by 70mg/kg every four hours for 17 doses.

So if you have symptoms and you have crossed the toxic level you may ask your doctor for antidote therapy, other wise monitor your liver function with liver function tests.

Best wishes